Saturday 13 July 2013

Star Citizen

I've played X, Homeworld and I've played Eve. I do like space games. However the last one of the three is also an MMO. I'm not really that fond of MMO's. I play them but not for very long. WoW was probably the one I played longer than any other left it after the Lich King. I've even played one of the Perfect World games and The Secret World*. Anarchy Online and APB. Eve online was the most recent one. I've been playing it since April 2012. The new Odyssey expansion adds more things to the game especially for explorers.

However I've been training my characters for maybe a month or so rather than playing. The thing with online games is they are a big time waster. That's why I left WoW. Its not the only reason. The thing I hate most is the grind in these games. The rare loot drops are also a joke. Its all designed to get you addicted and playing as long as possible. It is a giant cash cow for these companies especially CCP. They've even added the ability to train a character on the same account with the new expansion for a price of course. PLEX costs more than paying for a month of gaming. So if you want to train a character for a month at the same time as another character on the same account its going to cost you. Its a pretty pointless feature.

Now Star Citizen has appeared a game funded through kickstarter. It does have some interesting features but it looks like its going to involve a lot of PvP. I don't have too much of a problem with PvP other than its dull. I have a feeling that like every other MMO Star Citizen is not going to have much in the way of character customization. I like to have a character with a bit of personality. However to be honest even the Sims 3 isn't exactly brimming with creativity on that front. It seems like despite the power of computers these days characters don't often seem to have much to wear. Saints Row 3 suffered from this problem too. Not very interesting clothes, hair or anything else. I'm not saying a games done for if it doesn't have this. Its just every game I can think of always disappoints me on that front.

I have noticed that Star Citizen lets you explore. Now that is something I'm interested in. I did exploration in Eve and some PvP, mining, mission running etc. I was pretty much a jack of all trades. I just get bored doing the same thing all the time. :)

I do like crafting as well. I did some manufacturing in Eve and of course maxed the skill out for crafting in Skyrim. I don't know what you can do on that front in Star Citizen. All I know is that mission running in the game is affected by the economy. If a factory is short of something it will put a mission out for NPC and players to take on. That is something I'll admit I've never heard of before. I also like the Classlessness nature of the game. The fact you can be whatever you want to is a nice thing. But I don't think there is enough information for me yet. I'm left undecided on whether or not I'll like this game. I hope when this game has finished its development it will surprise me. If you want to know more about Star Citizen check out its website.


*Secret World was a Trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment